BYU Chinese Flagship Teacher Training Workshop
Purpose of Workshop
The proposed BYU Chinese Flagship Teacher Training Workshop will provide training for 12-15 participants from the community of academic personnel in existing Chinese Flagship Programs, including Project GO Centers, across the country. Participants will engage in a 6-day training from June 19 through June 24, 2017 on the BYU Campus in proficiency-driven and learner-centered classes that will enable them to implement effective teaching strategies at their respective Flagship Programs. Participants will learn advanced-level foreign language pedagogy including curriculum planning, lesson development, materials review and adaptation, assessment tools utilization and tutor training strategies. The highly-qualified BYU Chinese Flagship Teacher Training Team will consist of BYU Chinese faculty, the Flagship Director, the Flagship Lead Instructor, the Flagship Managing Director and the Center for Language Studies Director. The training team will work collaboratively and devote adequate effort in preparation for the grant project as detailed in the narrative to ensure optimal use of their time and meet project goals and objectives. Participants with the highest need of training will be recruited and selected among the current Chinese Flagship programs including Academic Directors, Flagship Instructors and Tutor Coordinators. Selected participants will lodge at BYU housing and be provided meals at the campus cafeteria. Airfare, transportation and other travel related costs will be provided by the grant project. The workshop will cover a variety of topics that will address different aspects of intermediate and advanced level teaching strategies. The budget requested is reasonable and will provide sufficient resources and materials needed to adequately manage and implement the project.
Objectives of Workshop
- Objective 1: To enable participants to conduct proficiency-driven and learner-centered classes, so that they can implement these effective teaching strategies in their Flagship Programs.
- Objective 2: To train participants in issues of advanced-level foreign language pedagogy.
- Objective 3: To provide structured and guided training in curriculum planning, lesson development, materials review and adaptation, and assessment.
- Objective 4: To provide opportunities for participants to teach classes (micro-teaching practicum) to fellow participants and receive feedback.
- Objective 5: To provide training in tutor preparation and how to best utilize tutors to enhance the Flagship courses.
Participate in advanced-level foreign language pedagogy: curriculum planning, lesson development, materials reviews and adaptation, assessment tools utilization and tutor training strategies
All Chinese Flagship programs are encouraged to send directors, academic directors, Flagship faculty, tutoring staff, and coordinators to this Workshop. You will participate in advanced - level foreign language pedagogy: curriculum planning, lesson development, materials review and adaptation, assessment tools utilization and tutor training strategies.